Able Seaman (M) will work as a watch stander or day worker in the Deck Department. As a watch stander, you will stand wheel, anchor, and gangway watches as directed, maintaining alertness at all times. During a wheel watch, you must:
- Maintain a steady course
- Properly execute all rudder orders
- Communicate utilizing navigational terms relating to heading and steering
As a day worker, you will perform general maintenance, repair, sanitation and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas in the Deck Department. The incumbent performs maintenance such as:
- Chipping, scraping, soundings, priming, painting and/or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, superstructure, cargo gear, smoke stack, lifeboats, rescue boats and/or life rafts, and emergency and damage control gear.
- Responsible for learning the location and use of emergency equipment, lifesaving equipment, damage control equipment, and safety equipment.
- Able Seaman performs all operations connected with the launching of life saving equipment and makes security inspections of the ships.
- Also performs other duties within the scope of the position.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
SIU mariners work a rotation of four months on with two months off. Typically all mariners have a private room and bathroom. Pay consist of monthly base wage, regular OT, weekend OT, Holiday OT, and Vacation pay. Benefit package is provided for the mariner and dependents which includes training and advancement at no cost.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential.
- Medical Certificate
- SIU Physical and Drug test
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Able Seaman Unlimited, or any unlicensed rating in the deck department, and,
- Current STCW Certificate endorsed as: Able Seafarer – Deck and Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW).
At least 2 years sea time in a deck approved rating. The USCG will approve use of 60% of your military sea service and apply it to obtain a USCG endorsement of able seafarer deck with NO RECENCY REQUIREMENT.
Deck Approved ratings:
- Bosun Mate
- Operation Specialist
- Gunners Mate
- Damage Controlman
- Any Officer of the Navigational Watch
All Vets with the required approved rating and sea time will need to provide the following documentation:
- Transcript of Sea service (TOSS)
- History of Assignments (HOA)
- Page 4
- Military Tracking Software printout to include all info required by 46 CFR 10.232(a)
The school is a VA approved facility
- Complete an Career Application at My MaritimeCareer
- Apply for or renew necessary credentials:
- Follow up with your recruiter to schedule your SIU Physical, Drug Test, Benzene, and Functional Capacity exam through an SIU Union Hall.
- Follow up with your recruiter to schedule your training, or call the Admissions office at 1-800-732-2739