Duties as a member of the Steward Department can include:
- Ensure that the approved menu is strictly adhered to and prepared in accordance with the approved recipes.
- Responsibility for serving line set-up, and will assist in training all serving line and dining areas food service personnel.
Equipment Management, Food Safety & Preparation
- Ensure that every precaution is taken to prevent contamination of food, including proper thawing techniques, and inspection of all food before preparation and serving.
- Inspect all galley equipment daily to ensure safe operation, rigid sanitation and proper maintenance standards are adhered to.
- Responsibility for learning the location of, and being familiar with the use of, all fire-fighting and damage control equipment in galley areas.
Food Operations, Inventory & Planning
- Ensure that all subsistence items, supplies, and equipment in the galley are maintained in a neat and orderly manner.
- Requisitioning and preparing all meals and managing provisions once they are delivered to the galley, including ordering and returning unused food items to the bulk storeroom.
- Ensure the “Breakout” of provisions necessary for the production of all meals is correctly inventoried and recorded and that leftovers and unused products are correctly stored and labeled.
- Supervision and job performance of personnel involved in food preparation, production and presentation of meals, to include ensuring that dining areas, salad bar, dessert bar, beverages, and condiments are set prior to the beginning of each meal and ensuring sanitation standards and personal hygiene are maintained at all times.
Everything described above is considered to be an essential function of these positions, and members of the Steward Department must also be ready to perform other duties as assigned.
Get Started Today
Take the next step in your nautical journey.